Since different kind of life problems and goals that our clients want to achieve, Epistema have different modes of individual and group psychotherapy treatment to offer: Epistemological therapy (ET), Rational emotional and cognitive behavioral therapy (REKBT), Transactional analysis (TA), Family and couple therapy, as well as two consultation departments – adolescents, and family and marriage.
This is a new approach in psychotherapy, and its author is prof. dr Milan Milić, founder of Epistema. Primary goal of this psychotherapeutic treatment is to get knowledge (justified truthful belief), at first about client himself, and secondarily about world. This the reason why this therapy has name epystemologica – from ancient greek word episteme (knowledge). Getting this knowledge means that client must face to his ignorance, pseudo knowledge and denying of available truths, which, in fact, are all lies in whose he believes. This therapy rest on assumption that this lies is a core reason for client problems, and that disclosure of this lies, will set him free to resolve his problems. But this is not as simple as it looks. Namely, if client only recognize lies in whose he lives, and implicitly understand truth from whose he runs, this is not enough. He must believe in this truth, and when he succeed, he completes definition of knowledge – justified truthful beliefs. So this therapy is essentially truth therapy.
Regarding that revealing truth about yourself can be a longterm process, Epistemological therapy is very demanding for client, and the therapist also. But, despite this relatively long way to go, Epistemological therapy can make possible more achievements than some other less demanding therapy, resolving problems in its origin. On the other side, Epistemological therapy is recommendable to persons who do not have any defined psychological problems, but they are aware of importance to work on personal growth and development. Revealing truth of yourself has philosophical background, but also practical implications, because it gives answers to next eternal question: What can I know? What should I do? What should I hope for? (Kant)
RATIONALE EMOTIONAL AND COGNITIVE BEHAVIORAL THERAPY (RECBT)
RECBT is psychotherapeutic approach which include active role both therapist and client in achieving defined therapeutic goal. RECBT rest on few basic principles:
- Beliefs that we have about ourselves, another people, and the world are learned through our lives. When they are irrational, meaning not based on reality, they are cause for psychological suffering. This beliefs can be changed, so to become more flexible, providing less rigid and more adapt view to life. Final result of this change should be positive movement to improvement of emotional and behavioral aspects of persons functioning.
- Our beliefs are closely connected to how we feel and behave. That menas that some events by themselves have no influence on our internal world, yet our interpretations of this events dictate what emotional and behavioral consequences will be about them.
- RECBT is directed to here and now. As such, this approach make possible for clients to reveal theirs beliefs and estimate theirs reality, logic and usefulness.
- Everyone of us is responsible for how he feels and behave. Reactions of other people and event by themselves can not relieve us from responsibility of how we feel and behave. That is why every person can choose and learn how to stand in front of what is happening to him.
RECBT is effective in resolving different psychological problems, such as: anxiety, panic attacks, phobias, obsessive compulsive disorder, depression, procrastinations, jealousy, personality disorders, stress management, etc.
TRANSACTIONAL ANALYSIS (TA)
TA is psychotherapeutic approach, respectively theory of personality, in which social interactions are used to as a frame to investigate Ego states of client. Ego state represent group of mutually connected thinking, feelings, and behavior. TA recognize three such states – parent, adult, and child.
- Parent is Ego state where person think, fell and behave in a way that his parents do. This form of Ego state is unconcious.
- Adult is Ego state where person think, feel, and behave in accordance to actuall situation, and relay on capacity of person as an adult human being.
- Child is Ego state which represent thinking, feeling and behavior adopted in childhood.
Transactional analysis start from assumption that every person in his early childhood creates his life story (script). During maturation script can be changed. As an adults people can not remember of their script, but they consistently stand by it. In a purpose to sustained to this script, even when circumstancess shows theirs inadequacy, person can try to redefine script in a way to adopt reality to script. Further, this manoevre creates fertile gorund for development of different psychological problems.
TA has another basic assumption, which said that everyone has right to exist and to be accepted as it is, to thstarts from basic assumptionnk, feel, behave freely, and to make steps forward to improve his life quality. Simultaneously, TA stands that everyone is resposible to his internal experiences.
Transactional analysis help client to reveal way which was crucial for creating his personality, what kind of relation he has to himself and other people. Such as that, TA is effective in individual, group, couple and family therapy. It means also that it is useful in almost all psychological problems, as well as resolving everyday troubles.